- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled, and very thinly sliced
- 1 McIntosh or Braeburn apple, cored, peeled, and very thinly sliced
- juice from I lemon or 6 drops of bottled lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 (17. 5-ouncej box frozen puff-pastry dough
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter or margarine
- ¼ cup dark-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- ¼ cup strawberry or apricot preserves ice cream or whipped cream, dairy or parve, optional
Place the apple slices into a medium bowl. Toss with the lemon juice and vanilla. Preheat the oven to 400’F Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sel aside.
Allow the puff pastry to come to room temperature so that you can open the folds without cracking them.
In a small pan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter or margarine with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
Using a 4- or 5-inch diameter ramekin, glass, or cookie cutter, cut 5 rounds from each pastry sheet. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Brush each round with the beaten egg yolk.
Arrange the apple slices in a spiral pattern over each pastry round. Brush with the cinnamon mixture. Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden.
Featured recipe: Banana Bread Nutella Muffins.
Learn more about Diane Israel. Also, see Diane Israel on LinkedIn.
Recipe by Susie Fishbein