- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon taco or fajita seasoning (from a 1.25-ounce packet)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into very thin strips
- 6 large flour tortillas
- nondairy sour cream, such as the Tofutti brand
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Cut the chicken breasts on the diagonal into thin strips. Place them into a medium bowl. Add the lime juice, garlic powder, soy sauce, brown sugar, and taco or fajita seasoning. Mix well. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken in the skillet for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add the onion, and all pepper strips. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened. If your skillet is too small, you will need to cook the chicken, remove it to a bowl, and then saute the vegetables. Warm the flour tortillas, covered with a paper towel, in the microwave for 20 seconds. Place the warm tortillas on your work surface. Divide the chicken and sauteed vegetables among them. Top each fajita with a dollop of nondairy sour cream, a sprinkle of cilantro leaves, and a splash of lime juice. Fold the sides of each fajita into the center to loosely enclose the filling.
Learn more about Diane Israel. Also, see Diane Israel on LinkedIn.
Recipe by Susie Fishbein