Total Time: 20m Yield: 7 muffins Print This Recipe 4.75/5
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil or butter spread (or applesauce for fat-free)
- 1 cup spelt, white, or oat flour
- 1/4 cup unrefined sugar (or xylitol for sugar-free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp + 1/16 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries, or berries of choice
- For the streusel, stir together 2 tbsp flour (I used oat), 3 tbsp coconut or brown sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp oats, and 2 tbsp oil or butter spread (or applesauce for fat-free).
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with liners. Make the streusel, and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients. Let sit at least 10 minutes. Then stir in the next 4 ingredients, just until evenly mixed. Gently stir in the berries. Portion batter into the muffin tins, then divide the streusel among the tops. Bake on the center rack, 20 minutes or until muffins have risen and are light and fluffy. Allow to 10 minutes before removing from the tins, or let sit at least 1 hour if you wish to peel off the liners without sticking. Optionally, ice muffins with melted coconut butter or Healthy Glaze Icing.
This recipe was originally published in