- I½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter or margarine, melted
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light-brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons light cream or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (12-14 ounce) jar good-quality black-cherry or other preserves, such as Hero or Sarabeth’.s brands
- ¼ cup (½-stick) unsalted butter or margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-by 13-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, allowing some overhang so you can easily remove and cut the bars after baking.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and mix on medium speed to combine.
Add melted butter or margarine, egg, cream or soy milk. and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until a smooth dough forms. Pat the dough into the prepared pan.
With a thin metal spatula, spread the black-cherry preserves evenly over the top of the dough.
Featured recipe: Banana Bread Nutella Muffins.
Recipe by Susie Fishbein