These three low-fat chicken recipes I discovered some 37 years ago when I was preparing to be a mom… again. This was the pre-Internet era, and while I saved the recipes, for the life of me I cannot remember the source.
100 TANGY BARBECUE CHICKEN
- 4 chiqken breasts, skinned 2/3 c. catsup
- 1/2 c. hot water
- 4 T. chopped onion
- 2 T. lemon juice
- l .tsp. worcestershire sauce 1/4 pkg. Sweet’N Low (035 oz.) 1/4 tsp. ch li powder
Place skinned chicken on broiler pan. Combine remaining ingredients, brush chicken. Baste chicken and bake for about 35-40 mins., turning and basting.
On low sodium diets soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, lemon-pepper marinade and regular mustard are not allowed. There are low sodium substitutes available at Health Food Stores and in the Health Food Section of your market.
IDD CHICKEN CACCIATORE
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 tsp. garlic salt 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp, pepper, if desired Non-caloric spray
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
- can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- large or 3 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. oregano 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- 1 pinch Sweet’N Low or equivalent
Season skinned chicken. Brown in Teflon using non-caloric spray. Remove chicken. Cook onions in small amount water until soft. Add remaining ingredients and chicken. Cover and simmer SO minutes to 1 hour. Serves 4. On low sodium diets all salts should be replaced with either powders (e.g. garlic powder, onion powder) or salt substitutes.
IDD LEMON CHICKEN
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned Marinade:
- Juice of 2 lemons Pinch parsley
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash of pepper 1/8 tsp. paprika
- Dash of tarragon, optional Lemon slices
- 6 T. plus 2 tsp. parmesan cheese
If possible marinate skinned chicken for at least l hr. Place chicken in pan. Slice lemon onto each piece of chicken. Pour marinade over chicken and bake 1 hr. at 325°. Remove chicken from oven. Sprinkle dieter’s portion with l tsp. parmesan cheese on each side. Sprinkle 1/2 of remaining parmesan cheese on remaining chicken. Put under broiler for 5 mins. Turn chicken; sprinkle other side of chicken with remaining parmesan cheese. Return to broiler for 5 mins. Serves 4.
On low sodium diets all salts should be replaced with either powders; e.g. garlic powder, onion powder, or salt substitutes.