Pour the juice from the can of mandarin oranges into a medium bowl, resuming the oranges. After zesting the navel oranges, squeeze their juice into the bowl of mandarin orange juice. Remove 2 tablespoons and combine with the cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve and set aside. In a very large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat (If you only have a 10-inch skillet or smaller, you will need to cook the meat and then the vegetables in batches, and then combine.) Add the sliced steak and saute for 5 minutes. Pour off excess juices. Turn the slices and add the carrots, snow peas, and green bell pepper. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the orange juice. Heat through.
Add the garlic, orange zest, and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a simmer. Add the scallions and teriyaki sauce. Toss the meat and vegetables. Remove to a platter and top with mandarin oranges.
- 1 (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, juice reserved zest and juice of 2 navel oranges
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced in half lengthwise and then cut into half-moons
- 6 ounces snow peas, ends trimmed, each sliced in half
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced into short strips
- 2 ½ pounds skirt steak, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 5-6 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Recipe by Susie Fishbein