- 6 large flounder or sole fillets
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 sour pickles, very finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- cup ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
Cut each fillet on either side of the spine and remove the spine; you will be left with 2 long pieces of flounder from each fillet.
Season both sides of each piece of fish with salt and pepper Arrange 3 bowls on your work surface.
Place the flour in one bowl, the beaten egg in the second bowl, and the cornmeal in the third bowl. Take the fish, one piece a time. Dip it into the flour; shaking off the excess. Dip it into the egg; shaking off the excess, and then dip it into the cornmeal, shaking off the excess. Repeat with the remaining 11 pieces.
Recipe by Susie Fishbein