- 1/2 cup yogurt, such as coconutmilk yogurt, or vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup oil OR additional yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (200g)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups spelt or all-purpose flour, not packed (180g)
- 1/3 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (65g)
- pinch stevia or 2 additional tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional 1/3 cup shredded coconut
Stir together all wet ingredients, except blueberries. Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease an 8×8 pan. In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients (not blueberries). Once oven is preheated, pour dry into wet, and stir to form a batter. Now add the blueberries, and stir very gently and lightly so they do not break and turn the entire thing purple! Smooth batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the center rack, 28 minutes or until cake has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool. Once cool, I highly recommend covering only very loosely (such as with a paper towel) and letting sit overnight– the cake tastes 10 times sweeter and better the next day, as the texture is wonderful once the excess liquid evaporates. Frost if desired; I especially love this cake frosted with melted coconut butter.
Yield: 9-12 serving.
This recipe was originally published by