- ¼ cup canola or olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2½ pounds ground beef
- 1 ( 1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas or more if you are using smaller flour tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried pinto or kidney beans
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) container nondairy cream cheese, such as Tofutti brand
- 5-6 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a large (9-by 13-inch) rectangular oven-to-table baking dish with nonstick cooking spray Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and green bell pepper. Saute for 6 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break up the chunks of beef. Mix in the taco seasoning. Saute until the meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat. Spread 3-4 heaping tablespoons of the refried beans into a thin layer on one side of each tortilla. Cut each tortilla in half. Place 4 tortilla halves, plain-side-down, into the prepared pan. Place the straight edges against the short edges of the baking pan so that they fill the bottom of the pan better. Overlap the two center tortillas as necessary in the middle.
Spread one-third of the meat mixture evenly over the refried beans. Spread I ½ cups crushed tomatoes over the meat.
Measure 3 tablespoons of the nondairy cream cheese and break into small pieces. Scatter the pieces of cream cheese over the tomatoes.
Sprinkle with one-third of the chopped scallions and a sprinkle of cilantro. Repeat layering in this order 2 more times.
Prep Time: 15minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe by Susie Fishbein