A Diane Israel recipe favorite! Ingredients:
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 cups good-quality chicken stock
- ½ cup baby carrots, cut into
- ½-inch rounds
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/a cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sherry or vermouth
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried fennel seed ¾ cup pearl barley, raw
Place the beef broth, chicken stock, carrots, celery, white mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, dried mushrooms, sherry, minced onion, salt, thyme, and fennel into the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir to mix all the ingredients.
Add the barley. Cover and set on high for 5 hours or on low for 8 hours. Ladle into a covered tureen or bowls .
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5-8 hours
Yield 6-8 servings
Featured recipe: Banana Bread Nutella Muffins.
Recipe by Susie Fishbein