- 3 pounds top of the brisket, top of the rib, or other fatty roast
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Jack Daniels or other whiskey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ( 18-ounce) bottled barbecue sauce, such as KC Masterpiece brand
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 2 crusty rolls
- store-bought coleslaw, optional
Line the slow cooker with a liner bag if you have one. Most require a cup or two of water in the bottom of the crock before the bag is inserted. Untie the shoulder roast. Open it and slice it into 2 pieces. Season each piece on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sear the meat on both sides. Place into the slow cooker: Saute onion in the same skillet for 3 minutes, stirring to pick up the flavor and the browned bits of meat. Top the meat with the onions.
In a large bowl, mix the Worcestershire sauce, whiskey, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and stock. Pour the stock mixture around the meat; try to keep the onions from being washed off. Pour the barbecue sauce directly onto the meat.
Featured recipe: Banana Bread Nutella Muffins.
Recipe by Susie Fishbein