These three low-fat chicken recipes I discovered some 37 years ago when I was preparing to be a mom… again. This was the pre-Internet era, and while I saved the recipes, for the life of me I cannot remember the source.
100 TANGY BARBECUE CHICKEN
- 4 chiqken breasts, skinned 2/3 c. catsup
- 1/2 c. hot water
- 4 T. chopped onion
- 2 T. lemon juice
- l .tsp. worcestershire sauce 1/4 pkg. Sweet’N Low (035 oz.) 1/4 tsp. ch li powder
Place skinned chicken on broiler pan. Combine remaining ingredients, brush chicken. Baste chicken and bake for about 35-40 mins., turning and basting.
On low sodium diets soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, lemon-pepper marinade and regular mustard are not allowed. There are low sodium substitutes available at Health Food Stores and in the Health Food Section of your market.
IDD CHICKEN CACCIATORE
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 tsp. garlic salt 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp, pepper, if desired Non-caloric spray
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
- can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- large or 3 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. oregano 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- 1 pinch Sweet’N Low or equivalent
Season skinned chicken. Brown in Teflon using non-caloric spray. Remove chicken. Cook onions in small amount water until soft. Add remaining ingredients and chicken. Cover and simmer SO minutes to 1 hour. Serves 4. On low sodium diets all salts should be replaced with either powders (e.g. garlic powder, onion powder) or salt substitutes.
IDD LEMON CHICKEN
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned Marinade:
- Juice of 2 lemons Pinch parsley
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. garlic powder 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash of pepper 1/8 tsp. paprika
- Dash of tarragon, optional Lemon slices
- 6 T. plus 2 tsp. parmesan cheese
If possible marinate skinned chicken for at least l hr. Place chicken in pan. Slice lemon onto each piece of chicken. Pour marinade over chicken and bake 1 hr. at 325°. Remove chicken from oven. Sprinkle dieter’s portion with l tsp. parmesan cheese on each side. Sprinkle 1/2 of remaining parmesan cheese on remaining chicken. Put under broiler for 5 mins. Turn chicken; sprinkle other side of chicken with remaining parmesan cheese. Return to broiler for 5 mins. Serves 4.
On low sodium diets all salts should be replaced with either powders; e.g. garlic powder, onion powder, or salt substitutes.
Diane Israel is a Chicago native who has an unmistakable passion for the culinary arts. Many of her recipes have been passed down from generations through her Jewish heritage. She can be reached at Diane@DianeIsraelChicagoRecipes.com